Monday, July 7, 2014

Midsummer Hot Dogs

This weekend countless Americans will be firing up the grill or gathering around the campfire to celebrate Independence Day.  One  iconic item that is certain to be on just about every menu?  Hot dogs!

If you are ready to get a little adventurous with your hot dog toppings, I have the recipe for you.  These "Midsummer Hot Dogs" were inspired by a family reunion just a few weeks back.  I think you will love the combination of a juicy hot dog, sharp mustard and the crisp crunch of a cucumber and radish slaw.

Keep reading for the recipe…

In this recipe, I like to use King's Hawaiian Original Sweet Hot Dog Buns.  These buns are brand new this summer and are rolling out nationwide, just in time for grilling season!

I love their signature soft, fluffy texture with just a touch of sweetness which I think pairs perfectly with the zing from the mustard and the slaw in this recipe.  It's also great that these buns are the "top-cut" style for great presentation and versatility.  This design keeps all the flavors together in every bite and is perfect for gourmet sausages, lobster rolls and, of course, this recipe for "Midsummer Hot Dogs!"

I know hot dogs are usually prepared on the grill, but in my family we prefer to gather around the fire pit and cook them over an open flame.

On Midsummer, June 21st, my parents hosted a Finnish "Makkara", or outdoor cookout.  It was part wedding celebration for my sister and brother-in-law and part family reunion.   Family came in from just about every corner of the globe – from Seattle to Mississippi, even 12 family members all the way from Finland!

As you can imagine, much of our time was spent gathered around the fire.   We told stories, laughed, and, of course, cooked sausages and hot dogs!  My cousin Pekka (below) is the makkara master and shows us how its done.

In my opinion, there is one indispensable condiment for any hot dog or sausage – mustard.  There are so many choices from mild to spicy, smooth and sweet to hearty whole grain.  I love them all!  These mustards were brought to us from Finland and they were incredible.

Even my little cousin, Samuel, joined in the fun.  He loved cooking the hot dogs and was really excited when we taught him another American campfire tradition – S'mores!  Imagine seeing a little kid devouring a s'more for the first time…priceless!

Outdoor cooking also means backyard games.  My sister and I recently discovered this fun Finnish game called Molkky.  I was able to track down a game set online and we set it up in the backyard.

Little Samuel was excited to play.  All you have to do is throw a wooden pin to try and knock over numbered wooden pins to earn points.

His dad, Jouni, shows him how it's done.  A commercial version of this game is relatively new, it used to be played with sticks and branches in the forest!

I don't know about you, but all this talk of grilling, campfires and backyard fun has made me hungry!  I am ready for one of these "Midsummer Hot Dogs with Cucumber-Radish Slaw."

Follow this link for the complete recipe –>  http://ift.tt/1k0cPlI



via The Daily Dish http://ift.tt/ViqYVw

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...