Thursday, September 11, 2014

Recipe: Real Irish Scones — Breakfast Recipes from The Kitchn

Pin it button big

I once took a work trip to do nothing but learn about Irish milk, cheese, and butter. Lucky for me, the first thing I ate when I arrived, jet-lagged and haggard, was a scone. I still remember this particular scone because it was fluffier and richer than any scone I'd ever had. After spending a few minutes under the spell of this little morsel, I pulled myself together and asked the chef if it wasn't in fact a biscuit. He insisted, these were his Irish scones, made with Irish butter and milk, and served with a soft pat of butter on the side.

If it really was a scone, it was the best scone I'd ever had, so I asked the chef for his recipe and I spent the rest of the trip trying to figure out what, in fact, is a real Irish scone.

In the days that followed, I probably ate a dozen scones made from different recipes, and each was unique. I asked chefs, innkeepers, grandmothers, and dairy owners for their methods, tips, and secrets.

Some said buttermilk is key. Others said, "Absolutely no buttermilk!" Most used "self-raising" flour ("

My understanding of the difference between a biscuit and a scone is that a scone has a little sugar (this recipe has sugar) and an egg. But not everyone I spoke to in Ireland put an egg in their dough.

There are a few things all the Irish people I spoke to agreed on about scones: they are best served freshly baked, warm from the oven, with butter, homemade preserves, honey, and even some cream. No one seemed particular about the shape or the time of day best for a scone. Sultana (raisin) or plain scones for breakfast, savory scones with soup at lunch; and sweet scones at teatime.

So back home, I put together a recipe using all the information I'd collected, plus my own bias for those first scones I gobbled up in Ireland. They're easy to make — from pulling out the ingredients to that first hot bite, only about 20 minutes will pass — but they rely heavily, in my opinion, on the quality of the ingredients, so choose wisely.

I made my own self-rising flour by adding baking powder to fresh all-purpose flour and opted for softened Irish butter. (Kerrygold is the brand most easy to track down in the States. I met many of the cows that are responsible for this butter and I can tell you they have a pretty cushy life: there is no confinement farming in Ireland and all of their cows are 100% grass-fed, which explains the vibrant yellow hue of the butter.)

Pin it button big

Sure, these scones are more biscuit-like than what you might expect from a traditional Irish scone, but what I learned is that there are infinite definitions of what a real Irish scone is. The memory of those very first fluffy dream-cloud scones I had when I sat down to my first Irish meal is so strong that, to me, these are now the most true Irish scones. Slathered with unsalted butter, honey, and a pinch of sea salt, and I'm pretty much transported to another plane right here in my stateside kitchen.

Real Irish Scones

Makes 8 to 10 (1 1/2-inch) scones

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon fine salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk, cream, or a combination

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat in the oven.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Use your fingertips to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture just holds together. Working the mixture as little as possible, add 1/2 cup milk and mix until it forms into a soft, slightly sticky ball. Add more milk if needed to reach desired consistency.

Place the dough on a very lightly floured work surface. Using a floured rolling pin, gently roll the dough to a 1-inch thick slab. Slice the dough into triangles with a floured knife or bench scraper, or dip a biscuit cutter in flour and cut out the individual scones.

Remove the baking tray from the oven and arrange the scones on it. Bake 8 minutes, turn the scones over, and bake another 4 to 6 minutes, or until just barely brown.

Serve with butter, preserves, and freshly whipped cream.

Scone Variations

  • Herb: Add a few tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, rosemary, chives or sage to the dry mixture.
  • Cheese: Add 1/2 cup grated cheddar or Parmesan cheese to the dry mixture. Brush the tops with beaten egg or cream and sprinkle with more grated cheese.
  • Currant: Add 1/2 cup currants (or raisins) to the dry mixture.
  • Chocolate: Increase the sugar to 2 tablespoons, add 4 ounces chopped semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, and sprinkle each with a pinch raw sugar before baking.

Recipe Notes

  • To reheat leftover scones, warm them at 350°F for 2 to 3 minutes or until warmed through.
  • To freeze leftover scones, wrap the completely cooled scones in plastic wrap, then place them in a zip-top bag or freezer-safe storage container. To reheat, thaw at room temperature in the plastic wrap, then unwrap and re-heat as above at 350°F.

(Image credits: Sara Kate Gillingham)

Oh my. I know what I'm having for breakfast in the morning.

10.07.10   2:46PM

Oh yum. I like the picture of the happy cows :)

10.07.10   2:48PM

One of my favorite memories from a recent 10-day trip through Ireland is having scones and tea in the afternoon. After a full day of sight seeing and traipsing through the country it was a treat we looked forward to. And, yes, they were quite different from place to place. And, yes, they were all delicious! I'm so glad to have a recipe now to use in my own kitchen.

10.07.10   2:50PM

Kerrygold Butter is the best! Definitely gonna try out this recipe tomorrow :-)

10.07.10   2:51PM

making these tomorrow with cheese to go with broccoli soup, mmmm! thanks!

10.07.10   2:53PM

I bought Kerrygold butter recently, and it's the yummiest butter I've ever had.

10.07.10   2:56PM

Oooh yum - I look forward to trying this recipe as I usually use buttermilk. The key thing that you mentioned is "working the mixture as little as possible" and also to give the flour a good airing when you sift it so they're light and fluffy! :-) And yes, scones don't keep well, so either eat them or freeze them (usually we don't have leftovers!)

10.07.10   2:59PM

I am a scone aficionado-- I love all types. But these look so light and buttery and fluffy...scrumptious. Accompanied by a cuppa? Yum! Thank you-- I'll be trying these out for sure!

10.07.10   3:03PM

Thrilled to have this recipe. I miss Ireland so much. Went there on my honeymoon and it was wonderful. Can't wait to try these.

10.07.10   3:13PM

I found Kerrygold at Central Market in Dallas. I haven't bought any other butter since.

10.07.10   3:19PM

These look amazing. I just made some apricot preserves that would be amazing smeared across a buttery scone!

10.07.10   4:05PM

yummy, with some devon cream!

10.07.10   4:20PM

I cannot tell you how excited I am to try this recipe. After being in Europe and having English scones (I'm hoping they are very similar to Irish Scones), I came back home, searched the net frantically to find a recipe, after about the fifth failed recipe, I gave up.

I've never been able to enjoy a tough American scone since, and can't understand why we did that to scones.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

10.07.10   5:00PM

This recipe looks almost exactly like the version my mother (Born in Dublin and live there til she was 30) used to make.

She didnt use fancy butter, though... I may have to try this.

For the record, though, sultanas are -golden raisins-, not just raisins. They seem to work better in scones as they tend to be a little bigger, softer, and have a little less grit than a standard raisin.

Alexis, one of the keys to keeping your scones light is (I cannot stress this enough) -DO NOT OVERMIX-. This includes when you are rolling them out. They don't need to be rolled so much as gently pressed down into a thick round shape.

10.07.10   6:09PM

Down here we get a lovely combination of ideas i suppose because we have both Irish and English influences. So ...here's a variation for you. No butter....only self raising flower, lemonade ( seven up style) and full cream. cheers kari

10.07.10   7:25PM

Stomach rumbling!

10.07.10   9:17PM

Umm, I'd like to be invited to 'learn about a country's food, in particular its milk, cheese, and butter' in just about any land. Please? But also I'd like to suggest to any of you SF Bay Area people out there that the Cheeseboard in Berkeley makes a mighty fine scone which I believe are quite as close to anything I ate in England that I can think of.

10.08.10   12:50AM

Most people here will also put an egg wash or milk wash on the scones before putting them in the oven. Also, sprinkle some sugar on them after this stage for a crunchy top for sweet scones if you like that. Nicola in Dublin :)

10.08.10   10:19AM

Bookmarking this one!

10.08.10   11:07AM

Keller's butter? Born and raised on a dairy farm way up in the catskills (250-300 head). We made fresh butter plus and I don't know if the color has anything to do with it. We had beautiful hand churned butter a lovely pale yellow. I think it all depends on your taste buds.

10.09.10   4:16PM

Also, I agree with Kari-no butter just fresh heavy cream.

10.09.10   4:18PM

For years, my go-to scone recipe ... drumroll, as I'm revealing this secret for the first time here ... was from the Winnie the Pooh Cookbook. I kid you not. My copy is frail, yellowed, and coated in flour.

10.11.10   1:01PM

mmmmm ....scones :) I admit, irish butter is delicious. Irish cheese is also excellent. If you haven't tried it yet, you should. It has a complex slightly nutty subtle sharpness to it. Even my local grocery stores have begun carrying the pre-packaged version.

10.12.10   4:29PM

I just made these and they were wonderful. I had homemade Rhubarb Jam, butter and a touch of whipped cream (I don't have a convenient source for clotted cream). It was heavenly with a cup of tea.

10.13.10   3:46PM

I just got around to making these this morning and they are delightful. They will definitely be a go to for years to come.

10.14.10   1:19PM

I put my cast iron griddle in the oven as it preheated, then buttered it, and plopped the scones on that. That worked fine, with no parchment paper. I also deviated from the recipe as written by cutting them into wedges, but in any case, they were fantastic.

12.12.10   2:15PM

I like to plump all raisins before including them in baked goods. They don't get that scorched, dried-out taste. American dairy cows (Holsteins) give high-volume, watery milk. If you can get butter from pastured Jersey cows, I think you will like the flavor and richness better. Nothing raised in a feed lot produces anything decent or moral. No feed-lot dairies in Ireland.

03.17.11   3:23PM

I made this this morning accompanied by Irish butter, apricot preserves, and a cup of Irish breakfast tea. Thanks for the recipe (I'm usually baking challenged)!

03.26.11   4:40PM

Instead of the dry, hard, triangular-shaped things that some consider a scone, the best ones I've ever had were on the Disney Magic and at the Grand Floridian. This recipe looks like their scones. Can't wait to try it!

10.07.11   12:05PM

Bless you for this recipe. I've been in Ireland for a while now and will be back in the US soon. :( I've been gorging on Irish scones while I've been here and they definitely are different from the English scones I enjoyed at tea in London. Big and fluffy, dotted with candied or dried fruits...

10.20.11   4:18AM

This recipe is the recipe that I have now been using for a couple of years many Sunday mornings, and everyone loves them!

08.13.12   6:38PM

As an American in London I discovered Kerrygold and when I went back to the states I sought it out because ordinary butter just didn't taste good any more.

Now i am back in London where Kerrygold is inexpensive. Thank goodness!

I have no affiliation to Kerrygold and I unabashidly recommend it to all!

08.16.12   4:48AM

I've never had a scone as good as the ones I had when I studied abroad in Ireland!

09.11.14   10:24AM

I'm not surprised you had a hard time finding a consistent idea of 'real' Irish scones. I've been living in Dublin 13 years and they vary from establishment to establishment - some are drier and cakey, others more obviously buttery and flakey, which is my favourite type. But even the ones you buy in the supermarket are very good!

I'm surprised that anyone in your travels mentioned using cake flour. I've never come across that as an ingredient here, except as an import in the Asian supermarkets. I certainly wouldn't imagine it's a go-to ingredient for any of the more traditional bakers here. In fact, when I've had need for it I've had to use a cornflour/all-purpose flour combination as a substitute.

I look forward to trying your recipe!

09.11.14   10:26AM

Your recipe for IRISH scones is almost exactly like my late Grandma's. She was Scottish and had an old family recipe she swore by. And, my goodness no eggs are in scones. Biscuit recipes have egg in them, not scones. ; ) Love your blog!
Thank you.

09.11.14   10:30AM

Our WM has finally started to stock Kerrygold (our favorite) and Plugra in our small town. We also use cream and butter often.

I have to say that buttermilk is key in making delicious, tender scones. I use buttermilk in almost all my baking. My favorite are orange and currant or cranberry scones and have a great recipe for these that I have used for over 20 years.

Cultured buttermilk will also make your bake goods last longer as most foods made with cultured products do. Cultured buttermilk will stay fresh in the fridge for weeks unlike regular milk.

When I was in Ireland cream was used in and on so many foods. It is really part of the Irish culture. We even had fish smothered in cream.

Clotted cream is also common and getting much easier to find in many grocers now and an extremely important spread to have with scones instead of butter. If you have not had clotted cream on your scones, you are really missing a time honored Irish tradition.

09.11.14   10:31AM

Sure wish there was a recipe with no grain flour that would work

09.11.14   10:36AM

Is it possible to make these gluten free?

09.11.14   10:42AM

*sigh* this reminds me of when I was an aupair in Ireland for a bit over a year as a kid. The grandmother of the children I was looking after made the absolute best, best scones I've ever had, so soft and lovely with a few raisins in there...

This post inspires me to make scones! Even though I don't have access to Irish milk and butter, perhaps I can make something not so bad :)

09.11.14   10:42AM

Kerrygold butter smells so good you might be tempted to eat it raw! Really, people, this butter is soooo good you would not imagine how much better cakes and cookies taste when you use it!

09.11.14   10:59AM

I had to laugh as this recipe without the sugar is my mother-in-laws recipe for "Southern biscuits"... however when I started making them 24 years ago I decided they were missing just a little something so I decided to add a teaspoon of sugar to that they tasted like my dad's recipe. Its nice to know that I have been feeding my family Irish scones their entire lives. :-)

Now I think I am going to make up a batch of savory scones with a touch of sniped chives, garlic, and finely diced thyme to serve with our soup today! Thank you for the nudge to get in the kitchen again!

09.11.14   11:06AM

Oh-- the scones and butter we devoured on that trip! And oh, the fun we had! You kissed the blarney stone with my husband, watched as a pig proposed something short of marriage to me, and drank up the gorgeous landscape along with a pint or two to wash down the glorious foods. We need to gather our friends from Kerrrygold, along with David Lebovitz and our other fellow travelers, and make a pilgrimage back.

09.11.14   11:14AM

I will try..but the best I've made/tasted so far is buttermilk from Tartar using cow girl creamery yogurt!

09.11.14   11:57AM


via Recipe | The Kitchn http://ift.tt/1tCdCOT

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...