Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Recipe: Savory Oatmeal Cookies — Recipes from The Kitchn

Pin it button big

I'm more of a savory girl than anything else. It's not that I never eat dessert, but I like a sprinkle of sea salt on my chocolate and herbs steeped in my ice cream.

So after a kick of eating savory oatmeal for breakfast — olive oil, parmesan, cracked pepper — I asked myself what would happen if I tried making an oatmeal cookie that was more savory than sweet? Not as a dessert, but as a snack, or something to serve before a meal?

In the test kitchen, I toyed with olive oil as my fat (no butter), plus Parmesan cheese. It worked well. I added rosemary and cracked pepper for some more forward savory notes, and a flick of sea salt on top before baking to seal the deal.

You can increase the brown sugar a little if you want (I tested it with 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup and a 1/2 cup and chemistry-wise they all worked, though I preferred the least sweet), and you can also make them more peppery by amping up the cracked black pepper.

Pin it button big

The result turned out to be the perfect first-course party cookie. It works with wine and a schmear of soft cheese like something veiny and blue, or a triple cream like Saint Andre, which most good markets carry these days.

The fun part is saying you started dinner with cookies. After all, life is short. Go for it.

Savory Oatmeal Cookies

Makes 16 to 20 cookies

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup sifted unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
1 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
Flakey sea salt such as Maldon or fleur de sel

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or Silpat.

Place the oats in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the water over them.

In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, brown sugar, and egg. Pour this mixture over the oats, stir to combine, and set aside.

In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, fine sea salt, baking soda, rosemary, and black pepper. Whisk to combine well. Stir in the Parmesan.

Gradually sprinkle the flour mixture over the oat mixture, stirring until combined.

Form tablespoon-sized scoops of dough and evenly space on the baking sheet. Flatten each piece of dough to about 1/4-inch thick. Use your hands to form an even disk. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on top of each.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until the edges are slightly darkened. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve with soft cheese, or alone, stuffed into coat pockets, as a mid-day snack.

This recipe has been updated. Originally published February 2012.

(Image credits: Sara Kate Gillingham)

A woman after my own heart...I love salted peanuts (dry roast) in my brownies, and I never eat chocolate ice cream without a blob of crunchy peanut butter perched up on the side of the bowl (dab of peanut butter with every spoonful of ice cream). Whatever is wrong with us, I hope there is no cure, because I love that sweet and savory combo.

02.23.12   9:20AM

Look delicious. I'm assuming you would use old fashioned oats, correct?

02.23.12   9:21AM

Absolutely brilliant! I'm going to make these for my next party!

02.23.12   9:24AM

These look like a great lunchbox inclusion, too. I always need more of those, especially non-sweet ones.

02.23.12   9:28AM

oh. my. heck. have to try there immediately!

02.23.12   9:33AM

Oh, this is fabulous indeed! I'm an oatmeal fanatic so these are exactly my cup of tea! Can't wait to make! ~Juliane of www.StyleNectar.com

02.23.12   11:25AM

I can see having these packed in my picnic basket for the next Wine in the Lawn Event I go to! It would also be the perfect accompaniment with Stilton and Lapsong Suchong Tea, too!
Thanks!

02.23.12   12:14PM

I had never considered savory oatmeal cookies. I bet they're delicious for breakfast with a fried egg.

02.23.12   12:53PM

how much rosemary did you use in these? I'd love to include them on my next cheese plate!

02.23.12   1:17PM

I think the rosemary might be missing from the ingredients?

02.23.12   1:18PM

Oatmeal cookies + blue cheese? Kinky! But I like.

02.23.12   1:25PM

Oh, these sound fantastic. One of my favorite cookies is a savory biscotti with parmesan and fennel seeds; this reminds me of that. I'll be trying these soon.

02.23.12   1:52PM

I think the all purpose flour in these is just begging to be subbed with a little white whole wheat for extra nuttiness...who's with me?

02.23.12   3:31PM

important: did they turn out crispy, or chewy?

02.23.12   5:21PM

Oh, these look goooood. And I'm seconding the question from Antxoa. *pulls up chair, anticipates answer*

02.23.12   5:34PM

Oh my goodness they look good, I love oatmeal and Parmesan!!!! I may have to make a batch tonight.

staceyann dolenti

02.23.12   7:06PM

I DID have to make a batch tonight. And they're great. @Antxoa, @SurfJack, chewy, with a crispy edge. My only regret was that I only salted the tops of half the cookies. Maybe I'll dip the others. :)

02.24.12   12:55AM

This recipe is so cool! The "cookies" are in the oven now and we're so excited to try them. Thanks.

02.24.12   6:22AM

I bet they'd be great with a nice cold beer...

02.24.12   8:22AM

cold beer and oatmeal cookies ~ hum that's an interesting one :)

02.24.12   10:49AM

This sounds awesome! For those of us who don't eat dairy, what does the Parmesan do in this recipe? Does it do any binding, or is it only there for flavor? (If it's for flavor I'll replace it with nutritional yeast; if it's a binder I'll have to play around a little.)

02.24.12   12:16PM

@vegetalion It's mostly for flavor. So give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.

02.24.12   2:18PM

These sound great!

But savory oatmeal in the morning is the idea that inspired me. I love oatmeal first thing, but do not eat sugar before noon. It never occurred to me to make it savory! I'm having Parmesan oatmeal tomorrow morning!

02.24.12   6:15PM

I made these last night. The kitchen smelled fantastic while they were baking and they are really unique and delicious. Thank you! What an innovative recipe. I can't wait to serve it to guests this afternoon.

02.25.12   10:49AM

these are serious! loved them.

02.25.12   3:58PM

Delicious! Enjoying them topped with a little honey, will try them with some cheese later.

02.26.12   8:51PM

I made these today, totally delicious. They really taste more like a biscuit than a cookie but who cares what they call it they're awesome!

02.26.12   9:29PM

OMG, these were awesome. We had them last night with a montrachet and raspberry jam, along with a nice riesling. Exceptional. *Thank you* for the pure yumminess.

02.27.12   9:52AM

I made these last night, to snack on during the Oscars. Unfortunately, I thought I had all the ingredients at home, but only had about 2/3c parmesan... I threw in about 1/4c of crumbled feta, to compensate, and the results were pretty good! I'm excited to try other cheese/herbs combinations.

These did turn out more "biscuit-y" than "cookie-y," in my opinion, but that encouraged me to eat them with some eggs for breakfast, so I'm not complaining!

02.27.12   5:44PM

I have just made a batch and eaten rather a lot as I went cycling today! I don't feel they need sugar - it jars with the savory aim, so I guess I'd put more flour. Would it then need more baking soda? I don't like fresh rosemary so much as other herbs, might use thyme or mixed herbs. Rosemary is a little strong for some cheeses - mind you they are nice on their own!

02.28.12   12:49AM

These are SO DELICIOUS. I served them to friends with a soft bleu cheese - huge hit. Thank you for this memorable, delectable recipe!

02.29.12   10:51PM

I made these last week and my co-workers LOVED them with blue cheese and a drizzle of honey on top. I'm baking a batch right now for the man since there were no leftovers. I'm adding a blanched almond to the blue cheese and honey topping this time. He's flipping out because our apartment smells incredible right now!

These are outstanding! Thanks!

03.04.12   9:26PM

So glad to see that so many of you made the cookies... err biscuits. Keep cooking!

03.07.12   9:58AM

Sara- these are wonderful. I made a batch last night; they are gone. My husband to be doesn't like the smell of rosemary but loved the 'cookies'. We added sharp cheddar on the top. These will be a regular rotation in my baking.

03.08.12   2:23PM

I couldn't tell if it was mentioned, but do we use dried or fresh rosemary? Thanks! I can't wait to try making them!

04.11.12   4:58PM

Just made these to take as a hostess gift along with some roquefort for a friend who is a lover of a good stinky cheese. I thought it was worth noting that the 'batter' as it is referred to in the recipe is much more of a dry and crumbly mixture. It can be formed into shape for the cookies though.

05.05.12   11:17AM

These are sooo good! I was nervous about the sugar, but it's just the perfect amount of sweetness. I'm making them for the second time right now for a picnic tomorrow.
And Samchase, my batter wasn't at all dry and crumbly. It was quite moist- but definitely more like a dough, not a batter.

06.21.12   1:06PM

I just made a batch (came out to be a full 2 dozen). They are delicious! Thank you for the recipe.

12.14.12   11:59AM

Just made these and couldn't wait for them to cool before eating. Thanks for sharing. They will be featured on my blog soon! EB from gastronomicallyimbalanced.blogspot.com

01.06.13   10:57AM


via Recipe | The Kitchn http://ift.tt/1y8Ipsh

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...