Thursday, June 4, 2015

Saltine Cracker Toffee

Saltine Cracker Toffee Photo

Years ago, I remember being at a family reunion and I tried this graham cracker toffee bar. It was amazing and delicious, and I was SHOCKED that the base was a graham cracker. I had to keep eating, bar after bar, for taste testing purposes.

Years later I shared the recipe for those brickle bars on my blog. They are still one of our family's favorite treats. And they are so easy too. From the time I start making them until the time I eat them it's less than half an hour!

A big plate of those bars goes fast with my family.

Recently as I perusing Pinterest, I saw a photo for "SALTINE TOFFEE." My mouth gaped open (seriously). Why had I not thought to make my brickle bars with saltines???

Well my friends, today, it has happened. I am happy to say the brickle bars can now be made using saltines. And the result is amazing.

The saltines have a saltier base (DUH) than a graham cracker, so the sweet and salty combo shines through on these bars!

Saltine Cracker Toffee Picture

A few notes about making Saltine Cracker Toffee:

  • Pan melt your butter, then add your sugar. Bring this mixture to a rolling boil.
  • Line 40 saltine crackers on a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking sheet.
  • Pour mixture over crackers, slowly, making sure that all the crackers have been covered in butter
  • Sprinkle generously with chopped pecans
  • Bake this for about 15 minutes. You want to make sure that the crackers look brown and caramelized.
  • Use a small spatula to remove the hot cracker toffee from the pan and place it on parchment paper (or wax paper).
  • Melt your chocolate chips and spread over each cracker. I pour my melted chocolate into a large Ziploc bag, then snip the corner and drizzle generously over each cracker. Works like a charm.
  • Once the chocolate has hardened, store these in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. ENJOY!

Make a batch today and you'll just how easy Saltine Toffee is to prepare. And then you'll devour the whole batch and see just how easy it is to eat!

Ingredients

  • 40 saltine crackers
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 12 ounces milk chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking sheet with the saltine crackers. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add in sugar and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
  3. Pour over saltine crackers and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Place in a 375°F oven for about 13-15 minutes, until crackers are browned and caramelized.
  4. Remove from oven and using a small spatula, place each piece of toffee onto a sheet of parchment paper on the counter.
  5. Melt chocolate morsels and spread generously over toffee. Allow chocolate to set and store in airtight container for up to 5 days.

Recommended



via Food Fanatic http://ift.tt/1AMMA08

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...