Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Beet Cookies

Beet Cookies Photo

It's no secret that I adore beetroot. I know, what's wrong with me right? But, whether it be in a sweet chocolate oatmeal cake, spicy beet and bean burgers, or a savory beet soup, I have a hard time passing up on it.

And with favorable health benefits that effect athletic performance, blood pressure, dementia and diabetes (to name a few), this little, gregariously red veggie is a valuable asset to any diet.

By the way, did you know that Betanin, obtained from beetroot, is used commercially as a red food colorant in tomato paste, sauces, dessertsjams and jellies, ice cream, sweets, and breakfast cereals?

Beet Cookies Picture

Which – if I were to stretch the facts a bit, you might think you abhor beets but if you love tomato paste – you might actually be a beet lover?! How about that for logic, eh?!

Back in my college days, I often added boiled beets and boiled eggs with a sprinkle of salt and red pepper flakes to my ramen noodle and tofu diet. Beets are quite budget-friendly, making them a college student's dream veggie – and there's not much waste as you can eat the greens as well as the roots of the humble beet!

These days however, I spread my beets around – making sure to add them to sweet and savory dishes alike: like these chocolate chip cookies!

Beet Cookies Image

These chocolate chip beet cookies are gluten free and dairy free – with tapioca flour and peanut butter taking their place. Now, you could sub out any gluten free flour blend for the tapioca flour, but, in experimenting, I found that tapioca flour seems to add a bit chewier texture to these cookies. I also experimented with baking times and if these were baked for 18-20 minutes, the resulting cookie is chewier than if you baked than if you baked it for 10-12 minutes like I did for this batch.

So, what's your favorite veggie to add to cookies?

Beet Cookies Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons pureed beets
  • 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, or chips of your choice

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Add peanut butter, egg and brown sugar to a bowl and mix well.
  3. Add in the beet puree, tapioca flour, vanilla and chocolate chips and mix well.
  4. Form into circles and flatten them.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes and enjoy.

Notes

  • I roasted beets for 40 minutes and then pureed them in a blender and add them to dishes as needed.

Recommended



via Food Fanatic http://ift.tt/1Vsiszn

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...