Saturday, May 25, 2013

Homemade Bisquick Mix: Breakfast Made Easy

Homemade Bisquick Mix Photo

I don't like mornings.

I don't like being woken up earlier than my body would on its own and I never have; when I was born, the nurses in the hospital complained to my parents that I was too grumpy when they woke me up to feed me. Twenty-four years later, you're still liable to get grumped at if you are the one waking me up.

Needless to say, I also don't much like making anything too complicated for breakfast. When you're in a near-catatonic state, it's really just best to avoid anything that requires too much thinking or measuring. Pancake mixes are perfect for people like me: dump into a bowl, add one or two extra ingredients, and cook.

Bisquick Mix Picture

True to form, I had to take Bisquick mix – really the ultimate mix, since it can be used to make everything from pancakes to biscuits to shortcakes to, heck, even casserole recipes – and come up with a homemade version. If you're moving at a glacial pace, this mix might take you five minutes to make, and it uses ingredients that I guarantee you already have in your kitchen. The best part is that you can use it, cup for cup, in any recipe that uses Bisquick mix.

Pancake breakfasts just got a whole lot easier. Thank heavens.

Ingredients

  • 6 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
  • 3 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes

Directions

  1. In the largest bowl you have, whisk together everything except the butter.
  2. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is in very small pieces and the mixture resembles Bisquick mix in texture (you're essentially looking for a coarse meal, with no big pieces of butter remaining). This is going to take a few minutes and some elbow grease, but have patience – it will get there.
  3. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two months.
  4. Use cup for cup in place of Bisquick mix in recipes.

Notes

When using this mix in pancakes or biscuits, I personally like to use buttermilk in place of regular milk, though either will work just fine.



via Food Fanatic http://www.foodfanatic.com/2013/05/homemade-bisquick-mix-breakfast-made-easy/




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 3564685

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...