Wednesday, August 14, 2013

New York Egg Cream

Cue the Linda Richman voice:  "An 'Egg Cream' contains neither egg nor cream.  Discuss."   

It is unknown exactly why this classic drink is called an "egg cream."  Some say it was a way of describing its richness at a time when both eggs and cream were expensive, luxury ingredients.

Note:  My apologies to anyone who didn't grow up with '90′s SNL references.

Keep reading for the recipe…

I have had the pleasure of spending much of the summer in New York City, where this classic drink was born.  Just last night I saw this sign as I walked down the street in the East Village!

This recipe is traditionally made with chocolate syrup, but I wanted to give it a bit of a twist.  I have always loved this Caramel Syrup from Hershey's, so I thought I would give it a go.

Of course, salted caramel is a hot flavor combination right now, so I figured I might as well add a tiny smidgen of salt into the mix.

Simply add a few tablespoons of caramel syrup into the bottom of a glass and top with a bit of salt.  Pour milk over the salted caramel and finally top it all off with sparkling mineral water.  (I used my SodaStream!)

Before serving, quickly mix it all together and watch the rich, creamy foam rise to the top.  Suddenly the title makes sense!

If you want to make a "Salted Caramel New York Egg Cream" for yourself, follow this link for the full recipe –>

http://drink.betterrecipes.com/salted-caramel-new-york-egg-cream.html



via The Daily Dish http://www.betterrecipes.com/blogs/daily-dish/2013/08/14/egg-cream/




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 3575582

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...