Thursday, April 24, 2014

Recipe: Chicken in Coconut Milk with Lemongrass — Recipes from The Kitchn

Pin it button

Our piece about Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk got me thinking about other possibilities for cooking a whole chicken in milk — what could be easier than filling a pot with liquid and spices, turning on the heat, and walking away until what's left is the most succulent fall-off-the-bone bird?

So I decided to try the sweet and pungent flavors of coconut milk, lemongrass and star anise. Served over rice, it's a one-bowl meal complete with wilted greens and soupy coconut broth.

Seasoning it a day ahead isn't essential, but adds to the depth of flavor. But listen, as far as flavor goes, you're well covered since you're cooking the whole bird in coconut milk and aromatics. You'll need a heavy pot that will hold the chicken snugly, such as a Dutch oven, though you don't need the lid for this particular recipe.

Chicken in Coconut Milk with Lemongrass

Serves 4 to 6

1 whole roasting chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
2 whole pieces star anise
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro stems
1 large lemon, cut into eighths
1 stalk lemongrass, 5 inches of white part only, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
6 to 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 (16-ounce) can coconut milk
3 cups torn greens (spinach, kale, chard, mizuna, etc)
2 green onions, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
Chopped cilantro, to garnish
Cooked rice, to serve

Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle it liberally with salt and pepper. Put the chicken, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, or if you're going to cook it right away, set it aside while you prepare remaining ingredients.

When ready to bake the chicken, preheat the oven to 375° F.

Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, then add the oil. Put in the chicken, breast side up, and let it sizzle for about 30 seconds. Carefully flip the bird and crisp the other side for another 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat, put the chicken on a plate, and pour off the the fat in the pot.

Transfer the chicken back into the pot, breast side up, and add the cinnamon stick, star anise, chopped cilantro stems, lemon, lemongrass, garlic and coconut milk. Cook, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 60 to 90 minutes (depending on size). Spoon the sauce over the top of the bird to baste every 20 minutes or so. The chicken is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 165° F.

Remove chicken from the pot and put it on a plate. Pull out and discard the cinnamon stick and star anise. Put the pot with the sauce back on the stovetop over medium heat, add the spinach and stir until just wilted, about 10 seconds.

Carve the chicken and serve each piece over rice with sauce spooned over the top. Garnish with chopped scallions and cilantro leaves.

(Image credits: Sara Kate Gillingham)

I tried the original recipe but with mint leaves instead of sage. Mint & lemon made a great combo.

04.07.09   1:13PM

Oooh, this looks even more up my alley than the original! I've got to buy a chicken!

04.07.09   2:15PM

This looks amazing and simple. I have been experimenting cooking a lot of Thai food of late and love the flavor of coconut milk. However, I just found out just how much fat it contains and have been substituting the lite version in my recipes. It is very good.

Can't wait to try this!

http://ift.tt/1iRLrbG

04.07.09   3:20PM

great idea with the coconut milk sara kate. I'll definitely try this

04.07.09   10:50PM

This one sounds yummy I will definitely be trying it soon!

04.08.09   3:45PM

I tried the Jamie Oliver recipe last week, inspired by Faith's excellent post, and I loved it. I immediately started to wonder if it would work as well with coconut milk. Is anybody else familiar with Charmaine Solomon's chicken adobo recipe from the Complete Asian Cookbook? I was thinking that would adapt perfectly to this method.

04.08.09   4:04PM

@wesaturtle: Mint sounds much better than sage. I tried it with tarragon, because that was all I had handy, and that was really delicious too.

04.08.09   4:06PM

I made this today and loved, loved the taste of the chicken. However, the sauce over the rice was too rich/fatty. I'd probably try it with fat free coconut milk next time, or serve the chicken with out sauce.

04.23.11   10:10PM

@kittyz, @dishinanddishes

don't waste your money on lite coconut milk, it's just regular coconut milk diluted with water and it costs the same as the full fat stuff. Buy the regular stuff and dilute it yourself with water or stock.

you can use the leftover milk in another recipe - coconut rice anyone? Yum yum yum...

09.07.11   2:33PM

I tried this and my sauce turned out very sour. Did anyone else have this problem?

09.07.11   6:03PM

You could easily adapt this to a stove top recipe with cut chicken pieces - sounds like a good one to try!

09.08.11   5:34PM

This was fantastic. Only change I made was I had no star anise so I used 1 tbs of chinese 5 spice on the chicken when I seared it. Also, I doubled the coconut milk because I wanted to make sure it was "soupy". It was so freaking good. We took the leftovers to work and ate it for lunch. We were so sad when it was gone! I'm actually making it again today :-)
this time I'm adding eggplant and maybe another veg.
Hey.. I just thought. I bet it's great with a bit of Sriracha.

10.02.11   2:42PM

its in the oven :D

11.14.11   8:03PM

@ellystapes, my first batch was very sour and bitter. The second time, though, I used a Meyer lemon and it made all the difference. Very tasty! Got the thumbs up from the whole family.

01.05.12   1:28AM

I just made this last night in my brand new 5.5 quart le creuset. Super easy to make, and I think I can honestly say I've never had a more tender chicken. I always have coconut milk on hand for curry but the cans are only 13 oz, so I substituted a few ounces of almond milk.

I was also missing the star anise (more like husband forgot to buy it), so I'm not sure how much that affected the flavor. Mine was also nearing on the bitter end, and I think that may have been too much lemon grass...but it was still delicious never the less. And I had leftovers for a couple lunches!

I will absolutely make this again, but use more coconut milk, the star anise that I didn't have, and a meyer lemon like the above poster noted!

01.06.12   1:56PM

I made this last night and have to say WOW! This was truly one of the best chicken dishes I've ever made. Family loved it and serving it again tonight to friends. I made sesame peanut noodles with cilantro and lime which was a perfect accompaniment. My sauce had tons of flavor. I used chinese five spice powder because star anise is a key ingredient in it anyway. I did have to skim a lot of fat from the sauce before serving (kind of like Thanksgiving gravy duty!), but it was so worth it. Used the sauce on the noodles too and we were just so happy. Thanks for this great recipe!!

03.03.12   9:41AM

Has anyone tried this in a slow cooker / crock pot?

05.15.12   11:32AM

Yes. I basically followed the exact recipe (left out the anise) and cooked it 8 hours on low. I saved the resulting juices/sauce and used it on everything. So, so, so good.

06.29.12   3:15PM

I was wondering why it calls for so much butter and oil? This is much more than would be necessary to brown the chicken. Seems like a lot of waste when it just gets thrown out.

07.27.12   9:54PM

I want to try this but I'm concerned. About 3 of the above posts say that it came out biiter/sour. Why is this happening? Thanks!

12.31.12   11:12PM

Good recipe. The second time I made it, it did come out slightly bitter as well. I thought it was maybe the cilantro. After making it two times, I think I might try to minimize the amount of butter in the recipe. And I'll definitely do this recipe with a free range chicken next time. I was a vegetarian for a long time and I've been eating meat for over a year now but I'm just starting to learn to work and cook with different types of meats. This was my first whole chicken recipe. The non-free range chicken looked mostly like dark meat when I cooked it up. It made the sauce a lot fattier. I liked pouring the sauce over the spinach and quinoa, but it was so greasy the second time. It may have been a fluke, but likely not, considering one of the major criticisms about how chicken is raised for meat is that they are given limited space to move around. If your eating chicken to be healthy, do yourself another favor and buy free range.

01.17.13   12:49AM

I'm going to try this tonight -- I just happen to have a free range chicken bathing/brining in a bag with salt and lemon right now in my fridge. I don't have lemon grass -- am wondering if the lemon grass might be the culprit making some posters chicken a bit bitter? Am going to serve this with brown jasmine rice. nom nom nom...can't wait!

04.29.13   4:24PM

This was wonderful! Made it last night with Coconut Cream. Wanted it nice and thick and the extra healthy fat keeps my weight down. What a great way to get healthy coconut in your diet especially with the weather turning so nice. I served the extra sauce over collards.

04.29.13   5:06PM

This sounds delicious. It has similarities to a Filipino Chicken Adobo with coconut milk which I cook often and have posted on my blog. I'm going to try this recipe of Chicken in Coconut Milk you shared here. I just know my family will enjoy it. Thanks :-)

04.30.13   12:41AM

I had problems with bitterness in this dish, too. I suspect that it was the lemon rind!!! The chicken itself was absolutely DEVINE, but I found the sauce a bit too oily and bitter. I think next time I try this dish, I'm going try replacing the lemon wedges with kaffir lime leaves to see if it helps.

04.30.13   8:40AM

Anyone figured out why it is bitter? maybe it's suppose to be?

04.30.13   9:10AM

The lemon wedges are most likely adding bitterness to the sauce. I would use the rind only (without the bitter pith) and a good squeeze of lemon juice to counteract the bitterness. Coconut milk is rich for sure but using skinless chicken will help. I hate the fatty aspect of chicken skin so never use it!

04.30.13   9:45AM

Sorry, I meant to say 'counteract the oiliness'

04.30.13   9:46AM

About the bitter taste, lemon juice is one of the things added to milk or cream to sour it. It makes sense that it would happen. The taste was quite good, and the chicken was tender as promised, but after I ate I was left with a rather bitter taste. So, I ate some chocolate! Problem solved....

04.30.13   7:28PM

Do you cook it with or without the lid?

05.01.13   10:19AM

I did half and half. Actually, I started with it off for about 30 min., then on for an hour and finished with it off for the last half hour. (yes, I kept it in the oven about 2 hours.) The original recipe (Jamie's) looks as if it was only with the lid off.

05.01.13   6:07PM

I made the recipe yesterday and it came out just PERFECT!!! the flavor was so different, you can really feel the coconut milk and the lemongrass working on it. i was a little bit scared about the fact that it could come out bitter, so i took the pits of the lime out and i put half of the pieces of lime inside the chicken, it really helps the chicken grab more flavor.
I invite my boyfriend and his daughter (12 yrs old) and they were delighted :) i served with white regular rice and i pour the sauce on top ... mmm yumii

05.02.13   9:10AM

AMAZING good! SO so so delicious. Made it exactly as written, and it was PERFECT!

To those having bitterness issues, I was taught to always remove the seeds from any lemon I cooked since they would make things bitter, so I automatically removed them here even though it didn't say specifically to do so, but then used almost two whole lemons exactly the way described, and it was among the most delicious thing to ever come out of my oven. I threw most of one inside the chicken, and scattered the other around in the sauce, but the sauce gets in the chicken, so they all cooked the same way, down into translucent wedges similar to preserved lemon, and we ate them with the chicken.

We're dreaming of it until we can make it again, it was that good.

08.13.13   9:54PM

If you're getting bitter results, try just the zest & juice of the lemon instead. The pith (white stuff between the zest and the juicy flesh) is bitter.

10.28.13   11:22AM

Made this yesterday for Christmas dinner. I used skinless chicken breast instead of whole chicken. Was ready in 25 minutes and was amazing. I removed the cinnamon stick, and lemon wedges before serving (omitted the star anise - the local store was out of them). I didn't experience any bitterness, though I found a couple of pits. This is a great recipe, easy to prepare and quite delicious.

12.26.13   11:22AM

This looks really good. I love chicken cooked in coconut milk, in fact I use it when cooking chicken curry. But this recipe of yours I just have to try! Wish me luck!

03.11.14   2:18PM

Has anyone tried this with pork? If so, which cut did you use?
I cook almost nothing other than fish and chicken. I'm thinking this might adapt to pork well.
And, yes, I will be careful to buy humanely, sustainably raised pork.

04.05.14   10:35AM

I suspect the bitterness comes from the whole lemon. The pith (white part) can be very bitter. Perhaps use only the juice and zest of the lemon.

04.24.14   10:14AM

I've done the Jamie Oliver recipe- it was great- and want to try this one, but I am confused.

The blurb at the top says you need a pot with a lid or foil.
The recipe says uncovered (like Jamie Oliver's)

A whole chicken is a splurge for my family, I don't want to screw it up...
thx.

04.24.14   10:32AM

So, why do I need a lid if the chicken is cooked uncovered? And is it baked in the oven for 60-90 min or cooked on the stove top?

04.24.14   10:45AM

@goodwife and @onemorebite -- Sorry about that! You don't need the lid for this recipe -- I've updated the text. Apologies for the confusion!

@onemorebite - Yes, it's baked in the oven the whole time.

04.24.14   1:12PM


via Recipe | The Kitchn http://ift.tt/1iRLrZo

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 3564745

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...