Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Recipe: Light & Easy Broccoli Salad — Recipes from The Kitchn

Pin it button big

In my Southern family, we grew up eating broccoli slaw that had raisins, peanuts, a sweet mayonnaise dressing, and toasted ramen noodles on top. It's a delight, which you know if you've had it. But every time I crave it now and look up a recipe, I'm turned off by the amount of mayonnaise or inclusion of the ramen noodle seasonings packet.

So I set out to modernize this retro slaw with a few fresh tweaks. The result is easy, lightened-up, and still oh-so-crunchy.

Pin it button big

Most of the recipes I've seen call for a bag of pre-shredded broccoli slaw. Even the recipes that called for fresh broccoli used only the stalks. And while this would be a fine way to use up stalks if you don't usually eat them, I'm all for using the tops. They shred up a bit fine, but they're perfectly delicious in this slaw.

I will say that a food processor is pretty handy in making this dish. You could finely julienne the stalks and slice the florets into tiny pieces, but it's much, much quicker with a food processor.

As for the ingredients, I skipped the ramen noodles in the name of trying to be healthier, and used almonds instead of peanuts, which added a little more crunch and a milder flavor. I also used currants instead of raisins, because I love how their smaller size meshes well with the fine texture of the slaw.

There is mayonnaise in the dressing, but not nearly as much as in most recipes we saw. (One called for a cup of mayo and a cup of sour cream — yikes. And let's not even mention the quantity of butter in Paula Deen's recipe.) It's just enough dressing to keep everything moist without making a sloppy pool at the bottom of the bowl.

Pin it button big

Tester's Notes

Elizabeth's recipe for broccoli slaw has aways been popular here on the site, and I loved it too! It's very quick and easy, especially with the food processor.

I did update the proportions, as her original quantity of "two heads of broccoli" for me made over 12 cups of slaw. I changed the ingredients to specify broccoli weight, to make that clearer. I also made the step of steeping and plumping the currants part of the instructions. Personally I think this is important. A quick steep in hot water will make the currants much plumper and juicier.

Faith, September 2014

Broccoli Slaw

Serves 12 (1/2-cup servings)

1/3 cup currants
2 pounds broccoli, about 1 large head
1/4 pound red onion (1/2 small onion), finely chopped
3/4 cup almonds, slivered or roughly chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper

Heat 1/2 cup water to boiling and pour over the currants in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes, then drain.

Shred the broccoli in a food processor, using the grater disk (the attachment with the holes, not the blade). In a large bowl, combine the shredded broccoli, currants, red onion, and almonds.

Whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, and a generous quantity of fresh pepper. Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt or pepper, if needed. Allow to sit for 30 minutes (or an hour in the fridge) so the flavors can mingle.

Recipe Notes

  • Quicker Slaw: If you do want to skip the broccoli shredding, substitute about 6 cups of pre-shredded broccoli slaw mix for the whole broccoli.
  • Reader Tip: We love the reader recommendation of substituting dried cranberries for the currants.

This recipe has been updated. Originally published May 2009.

(Image credits: Faith Durand)

i'm snacking on a "fridge leftovers" slaw as i read this. i used the buttermilk dressing from smitten kitchen that calls for a mere 2 tblspns of mayonnaise (i've used less as well and it's still great). it's super tasty and i bet would make an awesome dressing with this recipe...

05.05.09   4:30PM

I make this... I stole the recipe from a deli

instead of raisins I use red seedless grape, and instead of almonds I use pecans. The ripe grape/pecan combination is glorious. It is like little bits of sugar pop in your mouth.

05.05.09   5:27PM

yum! at the office we get one that has dried cranberries in place of raisins and sunflower seeds in place of nuts. i didn't think i'd like it but i tried it anyway - it's hard to stop eating!

05.05.09   7:12PM

I love broccoli slaw, but I try not to make it but MAYBE once a year because of the ingredients!

This is right up my alley and would be perfect for our Mother's Day lunch. I think I'd prefer cranberries, too, and I'm going to check out Smitten's dressing.

I love when a great post leads to great comments and suggestions. Thanks!

05.05.09   9:30PM

Oh man, Whole Foods Broccoli Crunch. I could eat that for lunch for weeks.

We make our own broccoli salad with raisins, sunflower seeds, red onion, celery, walnuts, bacon (!), and a sweet mayo-mustard vinaigrette. Lots of stuff, I know, but it's tasty. And the bacon is worth it.

05.06.09   1:15AM

Thin the mayonnaise dressings with some low fat yogurt, if you don't keep buttermilk on hand.

05.06.09   10:19AM

This salad is also outstanding with a poppy seed dressing. The little bit of sweet in the dressing makes it so good!

05.06.09   6:33PM

made this tonight after finding some nice broccoli at the farmer's market. it helped me use up some currants that i've had stored for a long time now. i used sliced almonds instead of slivered (since that's what i had on hand) and substituted some with peanuts too. great recipe, thanks!

05.07.09   12:59AM

I ate this from Whole Foods also. Soooo good. I looked up the recipe and I'm saving it for the start of summer. :)

05.07.09   11:24AM

Thanks so much for posting this. With a couple variations, I made it too! SO GOOD!

06.12.09   1:17PM

I made it today but had to substitute the almonds with macadamia nuts and the currants with raisins, but it was still delicious!

07.12.09   3:37PM

This sounds good, but can you tell me any of the nutritional info? :)

01.22.10   11:35AM

i left out the raisins but used a fig infused vinegar to keep the flavor profile. also made it vegan, so good! see here for details http://ift.tt/1B70fJc

11.30.10   11:35AM

This is the best broccoli slaw recipe I've come across..the dressing has a great tang to it and not at all oily as I've had before. I've made it twice in two weeks!!!!! Thank you!!

12.15.10   6:36PM

How funny to see this today, when I made this last night. I used dried cranberries, no nuts, and did half mayo/half plain yogurt. Can't wait to get home and eat it for dinner again!

07.11.12   5:55PM

I make the recipe all the time, always to rave reviews. I use a bag of slaw and knife shred a crown or 2 of broccoli to get the nice florets. I use dried cranberries. The dressing is just the right tangy sweetness that I can't get enough of!

01.09.14   10:58AM

I make a very similar version of this and always add chopped apple and sometimes roasted sunflower seeds. Yummy!

09.24.14   10:27AM


via Recipe | The Kitchn http://ift.tt/1r9lMRE

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...