Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup for the Slow Cooker

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup Photo

I love letting my slow cooker make dinner for us. Especially on a busy days or days I don't really want to spend hours in the kitchen. I also love the slow cooker because its essentially a one-pot meal which means very little clean up!

The day I made this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup, it was unseasonably cold in Florida. It was 30 degrees, which means to us Floridians, we have no idea what to do. Frost was visible on the windshield and our winter garden was pretty much non-existent after a few days of cold winter weather. I knew I wanted to make a hearty soup that would warm our souls and cut the chill out of the air.

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup Picture

I always try to utilize ingredients I have on hand before heading out to buy more stuff from the store. This recipe for lemon chicken orzo soup is a perfect example of using up what I have on hand! I only used 2 boneless chicken breast that I had thawed from the freezer, fresh vegetables from the pantry, and chicken broth, orzo, and spices from the pantry!

Before I left for work I through the contents of the soup into a slower cooker and let it work its magic while I was working to pay the bills! To make the morning slow cooker prep go quicker you can always prep your veggies the night before and store them in a container in the refrigerator the night before.

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup Image

I love making slow cooker recipes before work. Nothing is more satisfying than coming home after a long day at the office to a meal that is just about complete. That is the beauty of the slow cooker. Whether you are cooking a roast or a soup dinner is done with very little time spent preparing it and best of all minimal dishes to clean!

Need more slow cooker inspiration? Try Katie's Eggplant Pasta or Shelly's Crock Pot Pulled Chicken recipe.

Ingredients

  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 2 plum tomatoes, diced
  • 64 ounces chicken broth, (2 boxes)
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons dill, chopped
  • 1 zucchini squash, shredded
  • 5 green onions, sliced
  • 1 cup orzo pasta

Directions

  1. In a slow cooker place chicken breast, chopped celery, garlic, plum tomatoes, black pepper, fresh parsley and dill, and chicken broth.
  2. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
  3. Add shredded zucchini, green onion, and orzo pasta and cook for one additional hour (on high).
  4. Remove chicken breast from slow cooker and shred.
  5. Place the chicken back in the slow cooker, stir, and ladle into bowls! 
Source:
  • Soup will take 9 hours if cooked on low.


via Food Fanatic http://ift.tt/1igKSaf

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 3564685

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...