Wednesday, September 24, 2014

How To Make Pumpkin Pie Spice — Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn

Pin it button big

As the leaves start to change color and cheery pumpkins show up on doorsteps, summer seems like a distant memory and we're smack dab in the middle of fall. And while pumpkin spice-flavored treats make their appearance just about, well, everywhere, do you even know pumpkin pie spice is? Here's what it is and why you should make it at home. (Hint: it's as easy as it gets!)

Guess what? There's no pumpkin in pumpkin spice!

For years, I thought pumpkin pie spice actually had pumpkin in it. Silly me. How on earth would you get pumpkin in there? Dehydrate and powder it? In any case, pumpkin pie spice is simply a blend of the traditional spices that go into a good ol' fashioned pumpkin pie.

What's in pumpkin pie spice?

If you go the store-bought route, pumpkin pie spice blends can vary by manufacturer but typically contain the more sweet-smelling spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger. Allspice and mace are also common ingredients.

Why should I make my own?

Making your own spice blend costs less than buying a big jar of something pre-made, especially if you already have most of the spices. It's also better to make smaller batches so that you use up the blend before it starts to go stale and loses its flavor. Finally, you can tinker the formula to what you like: go for some extra cinnamon or skip the cloves if you can't stand the flavor. Trust me, once you've made your own, you'll never want to buy a commercial blend again.

How do I use pumpkin pie spice?

While you can of course use it to flavor your morning latte, pies, and other baked goods, sprinkle it over hard squash and roast, spice up some whipped cream, or mix it into some yogurt or ice cream base — it's quite a versatile spice blend.

How To Make Pumpkin Pie Spice

Makes 2 1/3 tablespoons

Adapted from The Contemporary Encyclopedia of Herbs & Spices by Tony Hill

What You Need

Ingredients
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Equipment
Measuring spoons, bowl, whisk or spoon

Instructions

  1. Measure: Measure out all ingredients in the order listed (to ensure you don't double up or leave one out) into a small bowl.
  2. Mix: Whisk or stir to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.

Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See more How To posts
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own tutorials or ideas here!

I haven't tried this yet because my husband balks at the idea, but I'm thinking it would be tasty in coffee. I like to sprinkle cinnamon into the grounds before brewing (and the Other Half likes that, too), so pumpkin pie spice seems to have potential, no? Anybody ever try it? As parents of a young child, the notion of ruining our morning coffee is too frightening. I'll have to make a post-dinner pot of decaf and sneak it in.

11.11.08   7:03AM

cmcinnyc--- I think putting pumpkin pie spice in coffee sounds delicious! I might try that out myself.

This blend of spices is very similar to what I use when making hot apple cider. yum

11.11.08   7:13AM

My favorite fall breakfast is a quick mix up of canned pumpkin, homemade apple sauce, milk or 1/2 & 1/2, with a generous dash of pumpkin pie spice. I use Penzy's but you've inspired me to mix up my own with a bit more heat to it.

Another Penzy favorite, in a similar vein, is Baking Spice, made of cinnamon, mace, anise, and cardamom. It adds a sweet, warm, homey scent and flavor.

11.11.08   7:21AM

cmcinnyc - I put a 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice in my coffee grounds every morning in the fall. Mmmm! You should try it.

11.11.08   9:13AM

Put some in Chili. Seriously.

11.12.08   4:23AM

in warm apple cider or wine because it is essentially mulling spice minus the orange peel.

11.12.08   8:13AM

trader joes sells it already mixed. tasty!

10.13.10   10:26PM

Ooh thanks, I have some in my cabinet and haven't used it... I love the idea of putting it into oatmeal.

10.26.10   11:56AM

I also make pumpkin pie spice by driving to Penzey's and buying a bag! (I keep it in my freezer, with a small jar in my spice drawer I refill as needed.)

But definitely a great recipe should I ever run out, I like adding it to sweet potatoes.

09.24.14   11:40AM
Book kitchn cookbook thumb

The Kitchn Cookbook
Coming October 7

Order It


via Recipe | The Kitchn http://ift.tt/1CishE9

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...